In this blog series I start to explain step-by-step tutorial on how to upgrade existing TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 Update 1 with the migration to a new hardware, the series will include videos and images as well. In the last post I will include one video that collect all parts for one-shot view, this series consist of following parts:
- Part 1 – Introduction.
- Part 2 – Prepare SharePoint for the new system.
- Part 3 – Prepare the new machine and install SQL Server.
- Part 4 – Install TFS 2012 Update 1 & Backup DBs and Reporting Key.
- Part 5 – Restore DBs and Reporting Encryption Key.
- Part 6 – Configure TFS 2012.
- Part 7 – Verify upgrade success and other configuration.
- Part 8 – Upgrade TFS 2012 Build Service.
- Part 9 – Summary.
Each part consist of one or many sections as needed.
Part 5 – Restore DBs and Reporting Encryption Key
- Run TFS 2012 Restore Tool and restore old DBs to the new SQL server 2012.
- Change Reporting DB and restore Reporting Encryption Key.
The following is the video that explain this blog post.
Run TFS 2012 Restore Tool and restore old DBs to the new SQL server 2012.
In this section I will explain how to restore the backup DBs to the new SQL Server 2012 using the new tools TFSRestore.exe.
Click Connect and in the Select Backup Location, add the shared folder that has created earlier and now has all backup files, select all DBs, we must check Overwrite the existing database(s) this to replace the existing Reporting Service DB, otherwise the restore will fail.
Change Reporting DB and restore Reporting Encryption Key.
Click Connect to the new server (TFS12UP), after that click on Database tab and then click on Change Database.
Click on Scale-out Deployment, select the old TFS machine (TFS2010) and click on Remove Server, if you have the same error as me, you will need to remove that manually.