- 13000 defects
- 9000 attachment (4 GB size)
I used the API for both, Focal Point and TFS to develop a migration tool……for more information about these APIs, see the following links:
- Integrating with Rational Focal Point by using web services
- Extending Work Item Tracking by Using the Client Object Model for Team Foundation
Here are some considerations for anyone may has similar situation:
- Reading and getting the defects from Focal Point take time especially with the attachments, also saving a work-item with attachment take time, so running the migration after finishing the tool took up 5 hours.
- Using the API method of getElemtns crashed by thrown out of memory exception for the client that running the migration tool, so we need to get 100 in each round
- Everything structured by Alias inside Focal Point and you need to get Alias of Work-space—>Modules—->Elements—->Fields
- Log all the transaction so if there is any exception thrown during the migration, you could know where you stop and where you will need to continue.
- Handel the exception very well as you don’t want to restart the process if any exception thrown.
- As the process takes time, try to get a status on what happen by printing out on the console what you read and what you save