In previous post Setting your private VSTS Git Artifacts repository in DevTest Labs I’ve described the step by step process for setting private VSTS Git Artifacts Repository. You can set your private Git Artifacts Repository also by using a GitHub Repository.
Usage of Artifact Repository enables you to completely automate the distribution and consumption of shared libraries. Usually the common process for manual update of library start when one developer builds and test the library. Then the same developer drops the library in a shared storage. After that all other developers are working on the code that occupies the library space and they are even manually deploying the library to their workstations.
Automated library management can save you tremendous amount of time as it enables upstream library changes and quick implementation of that change in downstream code.
This post will describe step by step tutorial for setting your private artifacts repository by using a GitHub Repository in just four simple steps.
Step 1-2: Setting the Name GitHub Artifacts Repository in the Lab
Steps 1-2 are already described in previous blog post Setting your private VSTS Git artifacts repository in DevTest Labs. You can follow them exactly as they are described in that blog post also for this case. Of course you can use different names, but the process itself is the same.
Step 3: Clone the URL from GitHub Repository
Azure DevTest Labs Community is a public, community-contributed Repository which allows usage of Azure Resource Manager Quickstart Templates for Azure DevTest Labs and Artifacts for Azure DevTest Labs which can be deployed on Virtual Machine in Azure DevTest Labs trough the new Azure portal.
1. Click on the link https://github.com/Azure/azure-devtestlab, to acces the GitHub Repository.
2. On the right side of the site, you will see the Clone URL option. Click on the Copy button to copy the link.
Step 4: Setting the Folder Path and Personal Access Token
The Folder Path name is the name of the folder in your Git Repository. You will find more information about it in Step 1 of blog post Setting your private VSTS Git artifacts repository in DevTest Labs.
1. Click on Personalized Access Token Icon.
2. From drop down menu choose Settings.
3. In the new window Personal settings list will open on the left side. From the list choose Personal Access Tokens.
4. In the upper right corner click on Generate new token icon.
5. In new window type the Token description.
6. Click on Generate token icon.
7. In new window new Token will be generated. Click on the Copy button to copy the Token to Personal Access Token field in your Lab.
8. Paste the generated Token into Personal Access Token field in your Lab.
GitHub is the place where you will find all kinds of software projects, from very simple programs to most popular applications. It allows users to follow friends or even some famous developers from which you want to learn from or just to see what they are working on. It is a perfect community where you can share your project to get feedback from GitHub community or you can share your project in the way that others can also use it. It free community for public usage and for open source project. But also for private repositories their paid plan is very accessible.