The new Agile Project Management features in TFS 2015 provides better support for aligning across teams while giving the individual teams the autonomy and the flexibility they need to operate as the ones. Many improvements have been made to the boards in TFS 2015. Each individual feature team can choose how they want to work. An organization can build a road map and settle progress of feature teams towards that road map while allowing the teams flexibility. You can also visit Visual Studio website and learn more about TFS 2015: Kanban Basics, Customize an Agile Tool and many more.
Part 1: Board Improvements
- There is an Add Button on Feature Team Board. You can now add items to the board easily without opening the new work item form. Click on Add Button.
- The new item is added to the board now. By default, it adds the item on top of the backlog, but if you don’t like that position you don’t have to go back to the backlog anymore. You can reorder the items on the board itself.
3. If you made a typo, you can change the title without opening the boards by clicking on Pen Icon.
4. In previous versions of TFS you could add bugs to the boards but that would affect all teams within the team projects because teams were definitely an organization. TFS 2015 now gives each team the choice how they want to treat bugs. This team is using only the Kanban board and as such wants to see bugs on their board. Go to Settings, go to bugs section and choose bugs appear on the backlog.
5. The bugs now appear on the board.
6. You are probably familiar with the ability to add new columns to the boards. This team wants to change their columns to design, implementation, code review and acceptance tests which was already possible in TFS 2013.
7. All active columns are visible in the top bar of the Kanban board and the new columns are now added to the board.
8. Using a pool model is typical for Kanban where team members put items into the next column. To support that model TFS 2015 have introduced split column. So lets split the code review column. Click on the gear icon on the top right hand corner.
9. Click on Columns.
10. Click the check box.
11. Click on OK.
12. You will now see two sections: a doing section and a done section.
13. The board now also supports an expedite swimlane. This gives the team the ability to identify the items that needs to be finished as soon as possible. Click on the gear icon.
14. Click on Swimlanes.
15. Click on Add Swimlane button.
16. Click on OK on the bottom right hand corner.
17. The Expedite swimlane is now added to the board.
Part 2: Build and Track Roadmap
TFS 2015 also provides a great overview across teams inside the organization. This team tracks the epics. When the team walks up to the backlog they can drill down into the details of the epic to see the progress of the teams in the organization all the way to tasks.
And if you are inside a feature team you can do the same drill down from the features into stories into tasks.
You can download the latest version of TFS from the Visual Studio download page.
Learn more about the latest updates available from these resources:
- What’s new in Visual Studio 2015 – to review the latest features of the Visual Studio client
- Visual Studio Team Services – to get started using our cloud offering, Visual Studio Team Services which provides end-to-end support for software development without the overhead of maintaining and managing servers.
- Visual Studio download page – to download the latest version of TFS